DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Friday, May 31, 2013

0298 Bill Russo [Russo in London] FLAC 9(38.42)

Contributed by yewsta and bluebird

Bill Russo - leader
Ron Simmonds - trumpet
Leon Calvert - trumpet
Gordon Rose - trumpet
Tony Mabett - trumpet
Johnny Edwards - trombone
Bobby Lamb - trombone
Keith Christie - trombone
Don Lusher - trombone
Jack Thirlwell - bass trombone
Ray Premru - bass trombone
Johnny Scott - alto
Al Newman - alto
Art Ellefson - tenor
Duncan Lamont - tenor
Ronnie Ross - baritone
Richard Morgan - oboe
Ray Dempsey - guitar
Arthur Watts - bass
Kenny Clare - drums
Raymond Clark - cello
Jack Holmes - cello
Hilary Robinson - cello
Derek Simpson - cello

Suite No 1 Opus 5
01 Portrait of a Count (Russo)
02 Egdon Heath (Russo)
03 Frank Speaking (Russo)
04 Thisbe (Russo)
05 Sweets (Russo) Suite No 2 Opus 8
06 Bill's Blues (Russo)
07 Ennui (Russo)
08 Dusk (Russo)
90 23° North, 82° West (Russo)

Label: Columbia 33SX1508
Recorded: December 21 22 1962
Lineage: CD>FLAC

5 comments:

  1. Well, how nice to see the RUSSO IN LONDON, I've been wondering what this is like for a long while. I hope it is at least interesting!

    I am alarmed and perturbed at your intention to close the blog, mainly because I don't entirely understand why. It was my understanding that the new copyright law is NOT retroactive, and only applies the 70-year rule to anything first copyrighted SINCE January 1963, which would of course leave the entire field of this blog wide open to provide anything that has not been reissued since then. One of us must have this wrong - I hope you will understand when I say I hope it is BritJazz!

    Greg Pickersgill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Greg's thoughts. Whatever happens you have done a sterling job in helping preserve a section of British popular culture that has, pretty much, gone unrecorded and unpreserved elsewhere. You deserve much praise for this effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see this, although it should be noted that it was recently reissued by Dutton Vocalion - in stereo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief so it has - if the Vocalion website was easier to follow (I find it peculiarly baffling and I have been an enthusiastic web-user since 1996!) I would have bought it. Oh well.

      Anyway, please let me reiterate my feeling that I have benefited a great deal indeed from BritJazz, in many ways; not just great listening but a better understanding of British jazz generally. I only wish I had something to contribute other than Gosh Wow Thanks! I do hope plans to close can be reconsidered.

      Delete
  4. https://cjoint.net/?bjp3s01bsy

    ReplyDelete