DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Thursday, July 29, 2010

0076 Ken Colyer [New Orleans to London] VBR 8(25.37)

















Contributed by Azule Serape, who writes:-
This group later transformed into the Chris Barber group minus Ken Colyer.
It brings back fond memories of my earlier jazz life and has remained a personal favourite even though my tastes became more sophisticated as I grew older. I sold the original record many years ago during a financial squeeze, then three or four years ago I bought another copy on ebay. That got lost in the post so we now have to make do with an Amazon MP3 download.
An attractive mixture of tunes, well played and with the banjo not too prominent. This instrument was always the killer in British Trad Jazz and spoiled many a good recording session.
As part of the development of British Jazz these particular musicians cannot be ignored and I'm sure many of us in the UK cut our teeth on music like this. 
Ah well, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Ken Colyer - trumpet
Chris Barber - trombone
Monty Sunshine - clarinet
Tony Donnegan - banjo
Jim Bray - bass
Ron Bowden - drums

01 Goin' Home
02 Isle of Capri
03 Harlem Rag
04 La Harpe Street
05 Stockyard Strut
06 Cataract Rag
07 Early Hours
08 Too Busy

Label: Decca LF1152 (10" lp )
Recorded: September 02 1953
Lineage: Download with original lp cover sleeve pictures.

7 comments:

  1. BJazz ... had this for a long time too.
    My tastes do stretch from Colyer to Coltrane.
    At this archaic form of Jazz Colyer is a master craftsman.
    Baron VB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have this as mp3 with the extra tracks...And Back To The Delta. I do tollerate the banjo in a jazz context but that's about as far as it goes. My father used to play the banjo, which I still have in the attic and that's where it will stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JazzUk ... hand it over next Banjo Amnesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Baron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allow me to say that I am sorry to have been focussed so much on US Jazz.....Britt Jazz has enriched me! A musical heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I bought a Ken Colyer LP off ebay early in 2007 (Colyer's Pleasure). That got lost in the post. Its wasn't Rebel Records too?

    Tnx for this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://cjoint.net/?p3y5lwskh7

    ReplyDelete