DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Sunday, March 18, 2012

0226 George Melly [Sings Doom] FLAC 4(12.41)

















Contributed by bellawoods, who comments:-
A gloomy sort of record with all the songs being death related. George Melly sings with the Mick Mulligan band. I bought it for the cover.
For jazz trivia enthusiasts, trombonist Frank Parr used to be the wicket-keeper for Lancashire CC.   Howzat?

Mick Mulligan - trumpet
Frank Parr - trombone
Ian Christie - clarinet
Ronald Duff - piano
Nigel Sinclair - guitar
Allan Duddington - bass
Pete Appleby - drums
George Melly - vocals

01 Send Me To The 'Lectric Chair (Smith) (3:23)
02 Cemetery Blues (Cook, Williams) (3:22)
03 Blue Spirit Blues (Williams) (3:11)
04 Death Letter (Son, House) (2:46)

Label: Tempo ep EXA 47
Recorded: September 13 1956
Lineage: EP>FLAC

10 comments:

  1. Wow. I admit I normally can't stand George Melly singing (such a better writer!)but somehow I can't resist this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And having acquired and listened - several times now - I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised. These are good sides, well played and arranged, and Melly comes across as much more of a 'singer' than 'personality'. I guess I am far too influenced by his much later work like NUTS etc, and really do not know enough about his early days with the Mulligan band (except of course for the books). Once more BritJazz comes to the rescue of the ignorant! Happiness.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the George Melly EP. It's an odd idea but there are some fine performances here that deserve to be rediscovered. Melly's voice suits the material very well.

    I love your site, by the way. I find something interesting that I've never heard before almost every time I visit it. Please keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Mick Mulligan Band with George at the Hippodrome Manchester a few times in the mid fifties, on sunday nights, this brings back great memories, George was an extrovert showman without equal at the time.
    not many recordings around of George unfortunatly

    ReplyDelete
  4. After enjoying this ep so much I made an effort to get two of the Mulligan/Melly compilations on Lake - and have enjoyed them a hell of a whole lot. That's the real benefit of this blog - finding out about things I have otherwise let slide past. Makes quite a change from my other enthusiasm of the moment - electric-period Miles! The Mulligan band and the music of 'Agharta' seem to come from quite different planets - both of which would be quite nice to live on.

    Greg Pickersgill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this salutary lesson in eclecticism, Greg - we should all be so lucky as to be able to live on such differing worlds!

      Delete
  5. https://cjoint.net/?77j0edz6qt

    ReplyDelete