DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Friday, November 20, 2015

0603 Helen Shapiro [The Quality of Mercer] FLAC 20(50.27)

Contributed by bluebird, who writes:-
I think the singer Helen Shapiro was about 15 when she got a hit pop record way back and I remember buying her first ep which had a stunning picture of her on the sleeve.
I fell in love with her immediately and wrote her a long letter expressing my undying love and I probably proposed to her as well.
Sadly. she never replied and I was totally crushed.  Just think what might have been. I could have been kept in luxury for the rest of my life
I never really liked her after that.
Anyway, we both moved on.  She being discovered by Humphrey Lyttelton and me..?  Sent to sea to serve before the mast.
She developed into a fine jazz singer with Humph's encouragement and here she is with a programme of songs by Johnny Mercer.  And just look at the quality of her Trio, augmented in places with (or is it by?) Tommy Whittle.

Helen Shapiro - vocals
Tommy Whittle - tenor (02 03 09-11 14 16 20)
Brian Lemon - piano
Lennie bush - bass
Bobby Orr - drums

01 Out Of Breath And Scared To Death Of You
02 Goody, Goody
03 I Thought About You
04 I'm Building Up To An Awful Let Down
05 Midnight Sun
06 Jubilation T. Cornpone
07 When A Woman Loves A Man
08 Fools Rush In
09 I'm Old Fashioned
10 G.I. Jive
11 Tangerine
12 Laura
13 Jeepers Creepers
14 Satin Doll
15 Autumn Leaves
16 I Wanna Be Around
17 Skylark
18 Cinderella
19 You Go Your Way
20 Medley

Label: Calligraph CLGLP 014
Recorded: March 03 04 1987
Lineage: LP>FLAC
Scans: Front rear LP cover

16 comments:

  1. https://1fichier.com/?npnkdgvr4k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/rUAsjY3B/file.html
      http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/KC4mwy9M/file.html

      Delete
  2. Cracking stuff this. I saw them a couple of times at the Dankworth-Laine Stables in Wavendon (and I think at Derngate Theatre in Northampton). Well done on this one. I know there are some others they recorded together and those would be very welcome if they are out there anywhere. Cheers Bluebird and Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice souvenir, Bluebird ! and thank you for this post !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant post guys, many thanks, as Terry said it would be great if you could locate any more of her jazz releases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, I never heard this, but like Terry, I followed her for ages, yes even SINCE her appearance at 15-16 in a concert at Butlins RYE
    Sussex... Ah ! happy days indeed but I'd guess that is the true meaning of "Walking back to Happiness" Re the other stuff she did with the great man HUMPH, I do have Helen & Humph, and the other way round one Humph & Helen, but to quote a CD title "I Can't Get Started"
    mainly because they are current Caligraph releases and I'm not too sure I'd like to get BJ a BAD name, but privately.. Well that's different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, that's just too bad but it wouldn't be good to go down that road.

      Delete
    2. Helen and Humph made five lps/cds together and this is the only one not to have had a cd re-issue. 'Echoes of The Duke'
      had an obscure cd release which is elusive and the lp sells for highish prices. Anyone have that?

      Delete
    3. Thank you Bluebird for another superb recording, great singing by Helen Shapiro, plus, Brian Lemon and Tommy Whittle are outstanding.

      Delete
    4. bluebird.....I have mp3 rips of Echoes Of The Duke, I Can't Get Started & Sing Swing Together . Just wondering what the 5th one is.

      Delete
    5. It's just called 'Helen Shapiro With The HL Band' recorded in July 1986 at Greenwich 'Borough' Hall. CD only release on GB Private (Dutch) GBCD 271. Never seen it though.

      Delete
    6. Thanks. Never ever seen a reference to that!

      Delete
    7. As a matter of interest that gig was broadcast on Radio 2 Sounds of Jazz 24th August '76. Anyone record it? LOL

      http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio2/1986-08-24

      Delete
  6. Thanks bluebird and Rodney - really enjoyable. Saw her at Wimbledon Theatre with a big band several years ago - she's a great jazz singer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very kind of you to post this. Can't say I was ever a fan of Helen- too nasal for me - and I reckon the Humph plus Elkie Brooks recording shows what can be done, rather better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rodney and bluebird! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete