DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

0466 Ernest Ranglin [Wranglin'] 320 6(40.50)

Contributed by bluebird, who writes:-
I had this lp many years ago and sold it 7 or 8 years ago for £100.  I don't really know why I did that and I've regretted it ever since.  I didn't even make a digital copy at the time.
It's scarce and still fetches a good price if you can find a copy. No cd issue either.
I don't know where this version came from but it's in mp3 format - thought to be 320 mps but I'm not convinced. The original sound had lots of crackles but it cleaned up nicely with Izotope and it now has a very respectable sound.  First time outing for me working with this sound restoration process.
Irrespective of the sound quality, the music is just fine and one of the few jazz outings guitarist Ernest Ranglin had as leader. It was recorded in 1964.
Jamaican born, Ernest came to the UK in the mid 1960s and played regularly as part of the house rhythm section at Ronnie Scott's.  He had a long association with Monty Alexander later during the 1970s and is recognized as one of the leaders and innovators of the Ska movement. He moved back to Jamaica later in the 1960 and then moved to the USA in 1982 where he now lives. He is still playing at the age of 82.

Ernest Ranglin - guitar
Malcolm Cecil - bass
Allan Ganley - drums

01 Linstead Market (Ranglin?) (5:53)
02 Angelina (Ranglin) (7:06)
03 Tonight (Bernstein) (7:26)
04 Wranglin' (Ranglin?) (7:16)
05 Reflections (Ranglin?) (9:57)
06 Just In Time (Comden, Green, Styne) (3:12)

Label: Island ILP 909
Recorded: 1964
Lineage: Unknown
Scans: Front and back covers

11 comments:

  1. https://1fichier.com/?28se0smof8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/15800219/file.html

      Delete
  2. Thanks Rodney and bluebird! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this rarity. I look forward to playing it.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to prove...if any of my mates doubt it...that I am a boring pedant....Linstead Market :Possibly the earliest publication of the tune with words occurs in Walter Jekyll's 1907 book, Jamaican Song and Story,(copied from Wikipedia...but as it agreed with my thoughts I included it)
    Malcolm and Allan add to the great guitar playing of Ernest (which was my father name....see what I mean ?} His playing when I heard it in the 60's was a breath of fresh air from the more technically able guitarists who didn't have half as much feeling as Ernest.
    Many many thanks for putting this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was aware of this album but never heard it i thought it was one of those that just disappeared into the big black void never to be seen or heard again,thanks very much for the chance to now sample it bluebird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for this one, bluebird. Bought it when it was released but sold it (in a moment of certifiable insanity) for much, MUCH less than £100, probably 40+ years back, and regretted it ever since. Great to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sources suggest there is a Japanese release of the original Island vinyl.. The search goes on.. Thanks for the welcome reminder of happy courting days :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I can get rid of my lossy copy. Many thanks, Rodney. Interesting to think that Malcolm Cecil ended up programming for Stevie Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to have the opportunity to hear this rare album. Thank you bluebird and Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this rare album. Reading the comments, I realize I'm not the only one who regrets having sold records in moment of insanity. I my case I may say moments of lucidity but i still regret it. In the early seventies my taste shifted from blues rock to jazz. I sold most of my british blues and 60s rock albums for almost nothing, including some pretty obscure ones that are now fetching astronomic prices. I wish i had kept those Blue Horizon albums.

    ReplyDelete