DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Monday, November 03, 2014

Bernard Stanley (Acker) Bilk : 28 January 1929 - 2 November 2014

Acker Bilk one of the 'Three Bs' from the trad age of the 1950s (Barber, Ball and Bilk) died yesterday aged 85.
Clarinettist Acker,  Somerset born,  was one of our best known and best loved traditional jazzmen who enjoyed a long and full career in the musical entertainment business. The purists might argue that that he was not primarily a jazzman, more of a popular light entertainer but underneath the bowler hat, fancy waistcoat and West Country burr there was a serious and committed jazz player.
His tone was exceptional and his hit single 'Stranger On The Shore' displays this to perfection. His more modern jazz outings away from The Paramount Jazzband included working with the Stan Tracey Big Band ('Blue Acker' and 'We Love You Madly') and in this short musical tribute from 1967 posted here, Ronnie Ross is added to Acker's regular band.
Only Chris Barber nows remains from the 'Three Bs'.

R.I.P. Acker Bilk : 28 January 1929 - 2 November 2014

Acker's Personal Jungle



6 comments:

  1. Makes me feel very O L D ... Acker's band was one of the first [trad bands] I saw in my youth, I remember with fondness his style, the humorous goings on in the performances, specially in mind was the open-air concert in Battersea park where we sat on wet seats, it had rained as usual, Acker joked with us, saying We're alright up here on stage !! but later he did his often "mobile" walk around between the rows, still playing, it was then I decided perhaps the clarionet was for me, sadly other things got in the way, as they often do in your youth...Fondly remembered dear "Acker" for waking me up to jazz, though I didn't approve of SOME of your musical experiments in the later days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for sharing the reminiscence, Gonzo. Not so old really...
    He was talking on the radio I think it was about his nickname being a West Country thing, meaning bloke or some other local versions, like Wacker. When I was in the Suez Canal Zone (yawn, yawn), it was the name for the piastre, Egyptian currency. Maybe they call it that still. Acker said he learnt to play the clarinet in the SCZ, before me a bit, on National Service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Rodney, the term "Ackers" has always been slang for cash, dosh, lucre etc, it does indeed mean Mate or Buddy in non-monetry terms, West Country specially. I wonder if the last of the B's is gloating, could be your turn NEXT chum (or even ours !!!) at least I've learnt now where ackers in money, originated, figures as lots of us NS men went to SCZ area, I stayed here in the UK, short straw job I guess...

      Delete
    2. Well it was no picnic, I can tell you - sun blazing down, flies, bathing in the Sweet Water Canal along with the dead dogs and asses (have to be crazy although the locals did), di dah, di dah, di dah. No, I don't suppose the term came from there - we squaddies probably imported it. Also, I've never heard of it meaning Buddy or anything like that. Wacker, or Mukka, yes.

      Delete
  3. Such a familiar presence in those pre-Beatles days. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete