DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Saturday, February 22, 2014

0354 Frank Evans [For Little Girls] FLAC 10 (37.44)

Contributed by azule serape, who writes:-
Here's a scarce one. Very limited distribution on Frank's own label and never re-issued.
A lovely solo guitar album by an artist who should have been given more recording opportunities. There are only a handful of jazz albums by him and this is one of the few. BJ will bring you more at a later date.
Great album title (neatly linked to the tune titles too) and great cover picture. 
I remember being in a school picture like this (no, I didn't go to a girls' school) and the camera involved moved slowly horizontally (no wide angle lenses then) to capture the whole school lined up in a similar fashion. It was said that one boy appeared twice on the same picture one year - at each end - running from one end behind the back row to get the other end. The picture was never produced for inspection, although many claimed to have seen it.
I have this music both on lp and on a commercial tape cassette. This is taken from the cassette with scans from the lp. It was easier that way but there may be a little background tape hiss as a result.

Frank Evans - guitar

01 My Funny Valentine (Rodgers, Hart) (3:27)
02 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Lerner, Loewe) (2:42)
03 Sweet Lorraine (Burwell, Parrish) (4:05)
04 Little Girl Blue (Rodgers, Hart) (2:35)
05 Laura (Roskin, Mercer) (5:13)
06 Sophisticated Lady (Ellington, Parrish, Mills) (2:52)
07 Pavane Pour Une Enfante Defunt (Ravel) (4:55)
08 Waltz For Debby (Evans) (4:06)
09 Lil’ Darlin' (Hefti) (4:35)
10 Mary (3:14)

Label: Blue Bag BB 104
Recorded: Unknown
Lineage: Commercially produced cassette tape>FLAC

13 comments:

  1. Most appreciated download from a criminally under recorded hero of the guitar. I am looking forward to the next post by him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth checking out I'm sure, thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice One! Thanks Rodney and Azule Serape! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unusual one but very much appreciated.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with Frank Evans, but I love solo guitar - and the clever album title certainly caught my eye.

    Thank you, azule serape and Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to say, absolutely unknown name to me, so thanks a lot fort his discover !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for this rarity. I've yet to play it but did enjoy the gentle humour of the sleeve notes. I too remember those school photographs and the anecdote about the boy who appears twice, once at each end. Now that you mention it, I'm sure I still have one in a box upstairs in which, if you look very carefully at the back row . . . Does anyone have a recording date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Lord says "Unknown date and location" so that's no help. We have no information yet either but will post if some diligent soul discovers anything.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. I don't have Lord but I did Google long and hard only to find nothing. The irony is that Evans wryly lists his driver and his tailor on the sleeve but forgot the date. BTW, remember that there's two ~4 minute tracks by him with a trio on "Jazz Tête à Tête" of 1966 (which was published under Tubby Hayes's name even though he plays on only two of the six tracks).

      Delete
  8. I posted Frank Evans' 'Noctuary' on my own blog a while ago and managed to convert a few people. So this one - which I've never seen - is very welcome. Many thanks, azule serape and Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another album by Frank Evans to post yet but just when it will be selected it is difficult to say. It's a trio with bass and drums.

      Delete
  9. A new one for me. What an excellent guitarist. I have seen it offered for sale with a recording date of 1979. Thanks to Azule Serape and Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://cjoint.net/?fnbath916p

    ReplyDelete