DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Sunday, October 02, 2011

0200 Joe Harriott [Free Form] FLAC 8(46.13)

















Contributed by bluebird, who writes:-
This is a landmark post for BritJazz in that this is the first time a toe is being dipped into the sometimes murky waters of 'Free Form' jazz.
Having said that, one wonders what all the fuss was about when this was released in 1960 when today's standards are applied. The music was compared, usually favourably, with the recordings of Ornette Coleman from the same period although Coleman's music was more aggressive and angry.
The British public was ambivalent about the music back in 1960 when it was felt in some quarters that it was too revolutionary and that it wasn't 'proper' jazz. Joe used to alternate a free piece with a more conventional piece at his concerts/club dates in order to satisfy the public but the music critics were very supportive.
Hearing the music now it cannot really be described as totally 'free'.  Whilst the front line instruments enjoy a great deal of musical freedom, the rhythm section (which surprisingly has Phil Seamen on drums) maintains a steady beat but overall the music is fresh, original and very enjoyable."

Shake Keane - trumpet, flugelhorn
Joe Harriott - alto
Pat Smythe - piano
Coleridge Goode - bass
Phil Seamen - drums

01 Formation (Harriott) (6:14)
02 Coda (Harriott) (8:00)
03 Abstract (Harriott) (3:40)
04 Impression (Harriott) (5:33)
05 Parallel (Harriott) (5:42)
06 Straight Lines (Harriott) (5:58)
07 Calypso (Harriott) (4:44)
08 Tempo (Harriott) (6:23)

Label: Jazzland JLP 49
Recorded: November 1960

12 comments:

  1. I have a few LPs and CDs that i could contribute. I'll put it on my blog but you could transfer it to your, as you wish... First i'll start with 2010. cd edition of Don Rendell & Ian Carr Live At The Union 1966. Is that O.K.!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A welcome offer, Brian, but we are limited to pre-1961 recordings at the moment. If you have anything that qualifies, we would be very pleased to put it up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try! Hard! Appreciate YOUR work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another recording I've never heard of. Thanks a lot for the musical education!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the great records of the '60s, comparable not just with Coleman's work but with that of Miles' mid-decade quintet, Dolphy's _Out to Lunch_ and any other classic of those days you can recall. Well done for posting it (and the other Harriott recordings here). Much appreciated!

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this - after all these years, it still sounds fresh.

    gdgm+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you going to open a blog for after '61 records in the near future? Sorry for my bad English..

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous - nothing wrong with the English but no, we only move to include 1961 on January 1 2012 so will then be pre-1962.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered this Blog today...It's a great one, so it is this recording. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lead to this recording by way of the Jazzland imprint. Collecting all of the non-reissue sides is a pet project of mine. I put this on my Squeezebox so I could do some chores while listening. It took about 3 minutes before I found myself standing in front of the stereo, in another 3 I was sitting in my listening chair... and that was it!! I didn't get back up until the end!! I realise I have been missing a really vital player in my collection - the great Joe Harriott!! How did Dizzy Reece end up getting Blue Note contracts, and Harriott nothing?? I find his ideas and arrangements to be wonderfully fresh, equal parts challenging and entertaining. He never pushes the listener aside, and that goes far with me. The whole "inside/outside" style is probably my favorite and Harriott is an apparent whiz.

    Thanks for this Bluebird!! I am now frantically grabbing everything I can with Harriott's footprint on it.

    Chubbs

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://cjoint.net/?8jk2ytprxa

    ReplyDelete