DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

0169 Tony Crombie [In Tel Aviv] FLAC 6(18.26)
















Contributed by azule serape, who writes:-
Crombie took his band to Israel in late October 1955 for a series of concerts in that country and these tracks are taken from a Tel Aviv concert broadcast by Israeli State Radio.
Vocalists Annie Ross and Johnny Grant are featured on 4 of the 6 tracks.
Sound quality is not of the best but listenable.
FLAC with 'cover picture', pdf and possible personnel details.

Jimmy Deuchar - trumpet
Les Condon - trumpet
Ken Wray - trombone
Derek Humble - alto
Don Rendell - tenor
Al Cornish - tenor
Ronnie Ross - baritone
Damian Robinson - piano
Lennie Bush - bass
Tony Crombie - drums
Annie Ross - vocals (03 04 06)
Johnny Grant - vocals (02)

01 Short Stop (3:09)
02 You Go to My Head (3:45)
03 C'est Si Bon (2:59)
04 I Can't Believe that You're in Love with Me (1:30)
05 Compos Mentis (3:13)
06 Don't Worry 'Bout Me (3:49)

Label: Radio Broadcast
Recorded: October 1955
Lineage: Unknown

7 comments:

  1. Mr Pinkwhistle1 June 2011 at 23:50

    This blog continues to surprise with the most unexpected gems. I wonder how many British line-ups in the period of this quality went on tour outside of Europe? Perfectly acceptable sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Pinkwhistle4 June 2011 at 20:32

    Perhaps I should qualify and amplify my previous comment. I listened to the two band tracks first and repeated plays only increase my admiration of a top-flight band with tight arrangements allowing the soloists to let rip. I've convinced myself that Rendell, Ross and Deuchar are there and on these the pianist sounds assured. Does anyone know more about Damian Robinson? Is that really a young Derek Humble? Excellent, whoever. The Johnny Grant vocal number is recorded better than the Annie Ross titles, which unfortunately blare uncomfortably. Still, a very welcome post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Pinkwhistle - could you tell me where you hear Ronnie Ross please? I have been unable to pick out a baritone at all but would be very happy to be shown wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Pinkwhistle7 June 2011 at 15:21

    Well, perhaps I had my hat pulled down too closely over the ears late at night but I thought it was your man on Compos Mentis. However, you are the Ronnie Ross expert and I'm not going to tangle with a blogger who has done such great work to make British jazz accessible. I must have just got carried away in my enthusiasm for those two band tracks (Short Stop being the other), along with my guilty awareness that I don't give enough thanks for the excellent music here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mr Pinkwhistle - I'm reassured. I too noticed the Compos Mentis theme as being a place where a baritone might be heard but eventually decided it was tenors there. Ronnie Ross of course played tenor as well as alto and even bass saxes but I do not think any of the tenor solos sounded like him. Mind you, multi-instrumentalists can sound a lot different on their different horns so there's some possibility of him being in the line-up. On balance though, I very much doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for this rare and great music.
    jazzrealities

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://cjoint.net/?fnvnewnf72

    ReplyDelete