DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Sunday, November 04, 2012

0259 Harry Hayes [And His Band Volume Two 1946-47] FLAC 16(49.22)

Contributed by azule serape, who writes:-
The second and final volume from this fine alto player and his various bands recorded for HMV between 1946 and 1947 and where we hear a young Tommy Whittle and the emerging sounds of British Be-Bop. Drummer Norman Burns on some tracks adds a further modern touch. There is some fine trumpet playing from Leo Wright in places, an unfamiliar name to me, and it would be interesting to see if anyone can throw further light on this player. He is not listed in the 'Who's Who Of British Jazz'.
FLAC from OOP cd with booklet scans.

Kenny Baker - trumpet
Leo Wright - trumpet
Lad Busby - trombone
Harry Hayes - alto
Tommy Whittle - tenor
Aubrey Franks - tenor
Bill Lewington - baritone
Arthur O'Neill - baritone
Pat Dodd - piano
George Shearing - piano
Alan Ferguson - guitar
Charles Scott - bass
Bert Howard - basss
Jack Fallon - bass
George Fierstone - drums
Billy Wiltshire - drums
Johnny Wise - drums
Norman Burns - drums

01 Miss Magnolia (3:05)
02 Out of Space (3:24)
03 I'll Close My Eyes (Kaye, Reid) (2:55)
04 Familiar Moe (2:55)
05 High as a Kite (3:12)
06 A Flat to C (2:51)
07 Blue Charm (3:13)
08 Let's Get Acquainted (3:16)
09 Alto Reverie (3:23)
10 Crazy Rhythm (Meyer, Kahn, Caesar) (3:02)
11 Rockin' in Rhythm (Ellington, Carney, Mills) (3:12)
12 O'l Man Rebop (Wilson) (2:51)
13 Lucky Number (2:24)
14 Dubonnet (3:16)
15 Dinner Jacket (3:06)
16 Scuttlebutt (3:18)

Label: HMV HH02CD
Recorded: March 04 (01-03) October 07 (04-07) December 13 (08-11) 1946 May 05 (12-14 16) July 22 (15) 1947
Lineage: CD:FLAC

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Azule - Leo Wright is indeed a fine player - who else used him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. many thanks for completing Harry Hayes. Interesting for showing how far bop intruded upon the general UK popular music scene at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big thanks, azule, for volume two. Leo Wright remains an unknown to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great to see Vol 2 of harry hayes. Real collector stuff. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, azule. One of the legends of British jazz and it is good to see his music available to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, many thanx to both azule serape and BritJazz for introducing me to Harry Hayes! After spotting this, I also went back and d/l'd Vol. 1. Being from across the pond from you folks, I'd just never heard of him. Fun swinging big band!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this album was an absolute delight, and halfway through listening to it I downloaded the other volume, which I'd missed a couple of months back. To tell the truth, I have enjoyed this music so much that I checked for and bought the legit cd issues!

    Not so rare as you seem to imply, I found volume 1 on Amazon and Vol 2 on ebay instantly, both at normal cd prices. Well, it saved the trouble of burning the cds and printing the liner notes anyway.

    Terrific stuff, and very nuch puts me in mind of a pretty-much forgotten US sideman of the Forties, Lem Davis, who had a few self-led tracks on one of the CHANGING FACE OF HARLEM compilations back in the 1980. I really loved those six sides, and always wanted more, and now Harry Hayes has provided it. Oh how I love BritJazz!


    Greg Pickersgill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog today and I'll be checking back often. Thanks for all the hard work! I'm a huge fan of American jazz and I'm excited to have a found a new rabbit hole to jump down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://cjoint.net/?18qurzhukd

    ReplyDelete