DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Sunday, November 06, 2011

0207 [The Betty Smith Quintet] FLAC 4(10.30)

















Contributed by bellawoods, who writes:-
There are not many lady jazz musicians but here is one who, as far as I know, is still around but perhaps not playing.
Betty was married to the bass player, Jack Peberdy, at the time of these recordings in 1957 and was known as much for her singing as her tenor playing.
Three vocals here and just one feature for her tenor which is a pity.
FLAC with scans of ep sleeve.

(01)
Betty Smith - vocal
Terry Walsh - guitar
Barry Phillips - guitar
Jack Peberdy - bass
Stan Bourke - drums
(02)
Betty Smith - tenor
Brian Lemon - piano
Terry Walsh - guitar
Jack Peberdy - bass
Stan Bourke - drums
(03 04)
Betty Smith - vocal
Terry Walsh - guitar
Ray Dempsey - guitar
Jack Peberdy - bass
Stan Bourke - drums

01 There's A Blue Ridge Round My Heart Virginia (Bryan, Phillips, Schuster)
02 Who's Sorry Now (Snyder, Kalmar, Ruby)
03 Everything Is Peaches Down In Georgia (Ager, Meyer, Clarke)
04 Because My Baby Don't Mean Maybe Now (Donaldson)

Label: Decca DFE 6446
Recorded: July 02 (01) November 11 (02-04) 1957
Lineage: EP>FLAC

14 comments:

  1. Thanks bellawoods ... saw Betty Smith at a Vauxhall Motors variety night in the 60s ... Baron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, again.


    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a very long illness, Betty died earlier this year. See obituary http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/09/betty-smith-obituary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sad update, Ned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this - I've been looking for the first track for years - I had it on 45 back in 1957.

    Thanks Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new to your blog. Is there a password I need to unlock the downloads? Thanks in advance for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @JohnnyLovesRecords Welcome. Passwords are in the first comments, with the links. If any missing, let me know but nobody has yet so I guess they are all there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooops. Sorry. I just saw the password at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re Betty Smith: I know Kathy Stobart but have never heard anything by her - can't wait to hear another ts-player from Great Britain.
    Thanks very much for this rarity !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re Betty Smith: Sorry - but since I'm not a native speaker, my last comment may be misleading: I meant to say that I know Kathy S. and have most of her recordings with Humph - but Betty Smith is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not misunderstood at all, Jaffa - very clear both times. Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you bella

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks very interesting. There are so few singing sax players!

    Thank you

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://cjoint.net/?pzozid3bdi

    ReplyDelete